"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know." Donald Rumsfeld
We don't know what we won't know and if we don't know how do we grow as a learner?
Formative assessments are essential tools for teachers and students to engage in knowing and not knowing? I was inspired by this article from Edutopia to update our Favorite Formative Assessment Document.
There are many digital assessment tools that can help both teachers and students know what they know and learn from what they don't know.
- Formative assessments should be part of the learning experience in all classrooms, but they are particularly important in 1 to 1 classrooms.
- Variety is the spice of life and the same could be said for formative tools. Using 1 tool all the time can become a drag for both students and teachers.
- Formative assessments should not be limited to assessment apps or sites. Formative assessment can be incorporated into any activity, digital or not.
- Good formative assessments help both the students and teachers gauge understanding and adjust teaching and learning.
- The nine featured recommendations below are by no means a represent a complete list. We have added additional assessment resources that we love to this document.
- If you have something you are already using that has worked well for your students, please share in our Formative Assessment Padlet.
- Before creating your own activities using any of these resources, we recommend exploring the tutorials embed in most of the resources. If you do want to jump right in, get started by searching for assessments that have already been created. (Most of these resources have a library of shared public assessments that you can copy and modify.)
Featured Formative Assessment Web Resources
Drawing & Diagrams
Exit Slips & Quizzes
Audio & Video Responses
Need something more? We have additional recommended Digital Assessment Resources in the full Document embedded on our Assessment Resource Page on the Wicked EdTech Site.